Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ireland. Here at last.

Ok so over the past 30 something hours I've been traveling with my school on a mission trip to Ireland. What a spring break right? Well anyway I've been dreading going on this trip for a long time and I still wonder why in the world i signed up for it, but thats done and I'm here now.

The flight was..... u guessed it, awful. I was in an aisle row which isn't bad for me cause i have long legs and i could stretch out into the aisle if i wanted, but it happen to be that the flight attendants decided to take the carts up and down the aisle every 10 minutes, so i was very frustrated cause i couldn't get any sleep. O, i forgot to mention, on international flights you are suppose to fly in a bigger plane than you would when u fly domestic but i guess AA decided that it wasn't necessary for us.

After getting off the sardine can we walked about half a mile just to get to passport patrol. After i got stamped i went and found my luggage, which was 48.5lbs when the max is 50lbs. I grabbed it and went to exchange money. For those that don't know the currency exchange sucks. I could feel the money being stolen right out of my wallet when i went to exchange for Euros, just to figure out that we will be in Northern Ireland for the first part of the trip and I need pounds, ridiculous.

So after getting through baggage claim and everything we hopped on our bus from the airport in Dublin to Belfast, 2 hour bus ride, yay more sitting. I was awake when we left the city and saw the amazing green fields of Ireland for the first time they were terrific. I was amazed by how many different shades of green there were. I soon fell asleep and woke up in Belfast. We headed out to get something to eat and everyone went to Burger King's or Kentucky Fried Chicken, but me and a couple friends decided we would try out the Irish Pub food, and to my sweet surprise it wasn't half bad! I had a burger, i know american right, and fries. The burger was excellent, the beef was splendid and the fries were made from the best potatoes on earth so it was a gimme that they were excellent.

After we boogied out of the pub we got back on the bus and did a bit of sightseeing. Some of the architectural geniuses behind building cities like Belfast must be nuts. Tight streets and windy i might add. I felt like we were on a roalercoaster, but on the wrong side of the road. They do drive on the left here which isn't new to me since i was in Australia last year, but you still have this sense that something is very wrong all the time.

We went to a museum after walking and driving around Belfast for a while and let me tell you it was not that great. All the exhibits were either not taken care of or were out of order. There was a huge advertisement for a flight simulator they had and I was excited to try it out, but it happen to be out of order when we got to it.

Once we left the museum we headed straight for the hotel to unpack and get ready for dinner, which is in 40 minutes. So i went to unpack my carry on to find out that i had forgot the converter. Disappointed and depressed I hopped in the shower and went to get into a clean pair of clothes and brush and shave when another disappointing moment occurred, i had forgotten... yep you guessed it... my toothbrush. Thank god i found something that would hold me over till tomorrow when i buy a real toothbrush.

Hope to catch you guys tommorrow I'll try to post an update every day so stay posted

No Regrets mate!!

2 comments:

  1. Love that you had lunch at a pub.... I can still smell the stale beer on the floor! And it's sooooo greeeeen. Make sure you spend as much time as you can talking to the people; they are the best part of Ireland.
    I remember that I always heard about "Urman" when I was there. Somebody would say "Urman" went down to Dingle, or "Urman" got pissed last night, or "Urman" is an eedjet (idiot). Then I finally figured out that "Urman" was not a guy but instead was "your man" which meant "he".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy, so glad to be reading your blogs. Your mother's right, "the people are the best part of Ireland", and for you, the writer, the best source of material to work into your blogs.
    Love ya always, Gran
    PS. Don't forget to toast your host with "slainte" (slaan-cheh).

    ReplyDelete